Jonita Gandhi Wiki, Age, Boyfriend, Family, Biography & More
Jonita Gandhi is an Indian-born-Canadian singer, who works in Bollywood.
Jonita Gandhi was born on 23 October 1989 (age 29 years; as in 2018) in New Delhi. Her zodiac sign is Scorpio.
She was born in Delhi and when she was 9 months old, her family migrated to Canada. She grew up in Toronto and Brampton. She did her schooling from Turner Fenton Secondary School, Brampton, Canada. During her high school days, she went to Ontario Conservatory of Music to learn Western Classical Music. She even got trained in Indian Classical music when she returned to India. She holds a degree in Health Sciences and has done her Honours in Business Administration from Richard Ivey School of Business (University of Western Ontario).
Height: 5′ 4″ (approx.)
Weight: 60 kg (approx.)
Figure Measurements: 34-25-35 (approx.)
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Boyfriend
Her father, Deepak Gandhi is a electronics engineer and runs a music studio in Brampton called ‘Sargam Music Studio.’
Her mother’s name is Sneh Gandhi.
She has a brother named Mandeep Gandhi.
When Jonita was 17, she collaborated with the North American musician, Akash Gandhi and Indian musician, Sahil Khan to create the cover of popular Bollywood songs that they posted on Youtube. The youtube channel was “88keystoeuphoria” by Akash Gandhi.
She also performed with Sonu Nigam in the concerts, which were held in Russia, UK, US and the Caribbean. She made her Bollywood debut as a singer with the song “Chennai Express” from the film “Chennai Express” in 2013.
She made her Bengali film debut as a singer with the song “E Mon Aajkal” with the movie “Majnu (2013).”
She was first featured in A. R. Rahman‘s studio album “Raunaq (2014),” after which, she worked with him in his several other projects.
She made her Telugu debut as a singer with the song “Nuvve Nuvve” from the film “Kick 2” in 2015.
She made her Tamil debut with the song “Mei Nigara” from the film “24” in 2016.
She made her Kannada film debut as a singer with the film “Niruttara (2016),” in which, she sang two tracks. She made her Punjabi film debut as a singer with the song “One More Thumka” from the movie “Mahi NRI” in 2017.
In the same year, she made her Bengali, Marathi, and Gujarati film debut as a singer with the songs “Bhalobeshe Felechi (from the film, Ami Je Ke Tomar),” “Affoo Khudaya (from the film, FU: Friendship Unlimited),” and “I Love You, Re Mari Savaar (from the film, Love Ni Bhavai),” respectively. She has also sung for Pakistani films, the first song being “Ae Dil” from the film “Punjab Nahi Jaungi” in 2017.
She has won Mirchi Music Awards for Critics’ Choice Female Vocalist of The Year for the song “Gilehriyaan” for the film “Dangal” in 2017.
- Food: Tofu, Sushi, Aamras Puri
- Songs: ‘Lag Jaa Gale’ from the film “Woh Kaun Thi?”, ‘Aap Ki Nazron Ne Samjha’ from the film “Anpadh”,’Aji Rooth Kar Ab Kahan Jaiyega’ from the film “Aarzoo”
- Singers: Benny Dayal, Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhosle
- Musicians: A. R. Rahman, Bruno Mars, East or West
- TV Shows: Dexter, Silicon Valley, The Big Bang Theory, Girls
- Music Genre: Classical Music, Opera, Romance
- Actress: Alia Bhatt
- She likes travelling and shopping.
- She is popularly known as ‘Toronto’s Nightingale.’
- Jonita’s interest in singing began when she first performed in a Christmas event organised by her father in Toronto. She was only 7 years old back then.
- Her parents were her great supporters in her singing career as they pushed her to learn Western Classical Music when she was in high school.
- Her father has been the biggest influence on her. He is extremely passionate about music, he played the guitar and performed with his college band in Russia. When he came to Canada, he played the keyboard. He also performs at local events across North America.
- Jonita recorded her first cover at her father’s recording studio, Sargam Studio.
- She grew up listening to Lata Mangeshkar and Asha Bhosle, which formed a foundation in her career. When talking about her singing career, as a singer who has received only a little training in Indian music and still has established herself in Bollywood, she says,
Even though western classical music is very different from Indian classical music, I have been able to use it to my advantage and that’s what makes me unique. In Bollywood, Indian classical singers aren’t valued as much as people who are versatile in other genres.”
- During her undergrad, she has received an internship at ‘CIBC World Markets.’
- She even cleared a test to be a medical student but she chose not to be a doctor as it would have not given her enough time for her singing.
- Her song,’The Breakup Song’ from the movie “Ae Dil Hai Mushkil (2016),” became an instant hit upon its release. She says that the song became the ‘benchmark’ for her career as people ask her to sing the song and people recognise her as the singer of the ‘Breakup Song’ in Bollywood.
- She has sung in various genres of music including Sufi, Bollywood, Western Classical, RnB, Pop and Soft Rock and different languages including Hindi, English, German, French, Spanish, Punjabi, Bengali, Tamil, Italian and many more for recorded and live performances.
- She even sang for a Hollywood movie, “Pelé: Birth of a Legend,” a biographical film on the life Brazillian footballer, Pelé. She sang, “Blessings from the Sky” under A. R. Rahman‘s composition.
- She describes her coolest experience as when she went trekking in Karjat (in Maharashtra) with her friends. She says that even though, she was eaten alive by mosquitoes, it was a beautiful hike and she had great fun.
- She is an avid animal lover.