Mahua Moitra Wiki, Age, Caste, Husband, Biography & More
Mahua Moitra is an Indian politician from the All India Trinamool Congress (TMC). She is an MP from the Krishnanagar Constituency of West Bengal.
Mahua Moitra was born on 5 May 1975(age 44 years; as in 2019) in Kolkata, West Bengal. Her zodiac sign is Taurus. She did her schooling from a local school of Kolkata. She pursued her Bachelors in Arts in Economics and Mathematics from the Mount Holyoke College, Massachusetts, United States. She was the topper from her college and was working as the Vice President of JP Morgan, London.
Mahua was attending her 10-year college reunion when she realized that all her batch mates were bankers and were all successful in just one field. It was then when she decided that she will not come back to her 20-year college reunion as “just another managing director”. She quit her job and went back to India to start a career in politics.
Height: 5′ 6″
Weight: 55 kg
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Figure Measurements: 32-24-34
Family, Husband & Caste
Mahua Moitra belongs to a Bengali Brahmin Family. Her father is Dwipendra Lal Moitra. Not much is known about her family. Mahua is unmarried.
Mahua Moitra joined the youth wing of the Indian National Congress (INC) in 2008. She worked vigorously and rose up through the ranks to be a famous leader and a familiar face across West Bengal. She was considered Rahul Gandhi’s most trusted person in West Bengal. She implemented Rahul Gandhi’s Aam Admi ka Sipahi (AAKS) initiative in West Bengal and produced amazing results.
Although she liked the appreciation she was getting and how she ascended through the ranks, she did not like when Congress used to compromise with the Left always. She quit the Congress and joined the All India Trinamool Congress (TMC) in 2010.
She had quite a following in West Bengal, which led her to grow at a fast pace in the TMC too. She was soon declared the spokesperson and the General Secretary of the TMC. In 2016, she was announced as the TMC’s candidate from the Karimpur constituency of West Bengal. She won the 2016 Assembly elections and was elected as an MLA.
Mamata Banerjee announced Mahua’s name as the TMC candidate for the 2019 General Elections from the Krishnanagar Constituency of West Bengal.
She campaigned extensively for the 2019 General Elections. She went to all the districts of Krishnanagar and with the help of the grassroots level workers of the TMC, she made a good connection with people of all age groups. Reportedly, she went to areas where other leaders have never bothered to go or did not even know were there. She used to visit, talk to the people about their problems and how can she be of help, and connect to the people of her constituency.
She won the 2019 General Elections and was elected as a Member of Parliament from the Krishnanagar Constituency of West Bengal. She won with a margin of 65,404 votes against BJP’s Kalyan Chaubey. She shared her Certificate of Election a day after her name was announced as the winner from her Constituency.
- Being the TMC spokesperson she attended a lot of live TV debates. Once during one debate in which Union Minister Babul Supriyo was also participating, he called her Mahua Drunk on Mahua (country alcohol in West Bengal is also known as Mahua). The news anchor instantly asked Supriyo to refrain from personal comments and he also received a lot of backlash for this comment later. Mahua filed a defamation case against Supriyo on 4 January 2017 stating that he insulted her on National TV, damaged her reputation by suggesting that she was drunk, and outraged her modesty.
- On 11 January 2017 Babul Supriyo filed a defamation case against Mahua Moitra and 3 others of the TMC. In his case, he accused them of falsely accusing him of having close links to the Rose Valley Chit Fund Scam. Supriyo stated they Mahua along with other members of the TMC were taking his name in the chit fund scam and influencing people to believe that he was involved in the scam without having any proof.
- Mahua was detained at the Assam airport after she slapped a lady police officer on 3 August 2018. She was detained for the night and was not allowed to board her flight to Kolkata on charges of assaulting a police officer on duty. She was let go the next morning following which she left for Kolkata and a case was registered against her.
9A, Ratna Bali, 7A Judges Court Road, Kolkata, West Bengal
Assets & Properties
Movable Assets: Rs. 2.64 Crores
Cash: Rs. 5,000
Bank Deposits: Rs. 1.05 Crores
Jewellery: 3.2 carat Diamond ring worth Rs. 70 Lacs, 150 gm Gold worth Rs. 5 Lacs, 3 kg Silver worth Rs. 1 Lac, Silver dinner set worth Rs. 1.65 Lacs, Art Pieces worth Rs. 25 Lacs
Salary & Net Worth
Salary: Rs. 1 Lac + additional allowance (as an MP)
Net Worth: Rs. 2.64 Crores (as in 2019)
- She was interested in politics since she was 18 years old.
- After her name was announced as the winner from the Krishnanagar Constituency of West Bengal, a reporter stated that her political career is now much bigger and she is a big leader now. To this statement she replied- I’m just about getting out of the cocoon now.
- Whenever she has campaigned, her prime focus has always had been good education and youth empowerment. She often addresses children and the college-going crowd of her constituency along with their parents and explains the importance of good education to them.